Friday, July 6, 2012

Celebrate Failure

I have one failed business under my belt, and while upsetting, I learned a lot from it.  Those lessons are being put into practice in my newest venture as an author.  When I first started teaching, I went through the usual round of substituting and being laid off as a new teacher.  Once after being laid off, I didn’t get rehired right away.  
Photo by Bill Nicholls

 Now I’m fairly responsible, so I launched immediately into an aggressive job hunt.  My family was depending on me and I couldn’t sit around and wait on a job that might not be there for me.  Seeing that nothing was coming and we were temporarily doing ok financially, I decided to upgrade my fairly useless history degree with a masters degree in business administration.  I was convinced that there were no opportunities in teaching and decided to cast my lot with the business world.  

I developed a two-track plan to create a business while looking for a position with a company.  Ironically, I was offered a teaching position at the end of that very summer.  While teaching, I took night classes to complete my master’s degree the following year because it would lead to an immediate pay raise, and it would provide some semblance of a lay-off back-up plan.  

A requirement of the degree was that I had to develop a business plan for a new business.  That summer I decided to pass on working at the San Diego Fair to try my new business idea.  It was a failure and it was upsetting.  I did; however, get a clear look at my interests and abilities by attempting this business.  I got a better look at what I enjoyed doing and what I really don’t want to do as a career.  At the time I was not sure what practical experience I had learned from that experiment, but I now believe it all had a purpose in my life.  

You also will travel down similar “dead ends” but it may be preparation for something greater, so don’t freak out when things don’t make sense.  Uncertainty is one of the hallmarks of a concept called faith.  Faith is trusting in something that is intangible or unseen.  When you walk with God, you must trust that He has your best interests at heart even when things are going horribly (Romans 8:28).  If you don’t trust Him, you won’t stick your neck out.  

Writing represents a new chapter of my summer life as an author so it is new, exciting and scary.  I don’t know if this will be successful, but what I do know is that God loves me and even if this becomes a failure it will mean something in God’s overall plan for me. 

I have put many hours into all this new venture and success is not guaranteed, but risks need to be taken or I'll stagnate. You should have a similar outlook towards taking risks. 

(Proverbs 3:5-6). 

As you trust God (a risk) with more and more of your life, you will be led into some uncomfortable things that may not succeed outwardly.  Sometimes success is not something you will see this side of heaven. Failure is a good teacher, so be ready to stop and contemplate the lessons in the failure.  In the same way that successes are not readily evident, there will sometimes be no apparent lesson to be drawn from a failure.  This is the mystery of God.  Sometimes bad things happen and there is no clear explanation why.  All we can do is press into Him for the strength to get through that difficulty.  Celebrate failure even though it stinks.

This post is one in a series of posts with the Christianwriters.com blog chain.  This month's theme is Celebrate.  Please check out some very talented writing by clicking on the links along the right side of this website.  If you are a Christian writer, this website offers a wealth of advice and support on your journey as a writer.

26 comments:

  1. I am a big believer in the 'school of hard knocks'. Nothing teacfhes better than failure, rejection, or missed opportunities. These always seem to be the life lessons with the most impact. It reminds me of all the rejection I received early in my writing career which wsas THEE BEST THING that ever happened to me. It made me a better writer.
    FYI. I'm also a teacher. :) I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traci since you are a teacher I always pay more attention to your posts. Most new teachers have very humble beginnings as a substitute. Talk about walking through the valley of the shadow of death...

      Delete
  2. This is funny. I read James Chapter 1 today. Speaks all about how we WILL have trials and how we have to fully depend on God to get us through it. He wants to make us rounded Christians. He doesn't want us to run away, he wants us to run to Him. Awesome. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing a failure as a trial is a good way to look at it. So much of our successes flow from things out of our control. While bad decisions increase our chances of failure, some failures happen from factors out of our control.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Mike - good reminder for us to trust God, and realize it's all part of His plan for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to accept this tough fact, but that's what we need to do.

      Job said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." Job 1:21

      Delete
  4. Famous words that one of my early mentors drummed into me: You have to plan your work and work your plan. As Edison said, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
    Peace and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed,
      I like the idea of planned failure as a part of a plan.

      Delete
  5. if at first you don't succeed....
    good post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your attitude is exactly what makes America great. It's all the small businesses that run our economy. I'm a businesswoman, too and hubby and I also had a small construction company at one time. It's a headache and a heartache sometimes but when God wires us to be entrepreneaurs for Him, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

    Very good luck to you in your business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. Right now the business pays like a hobby, but demands hours like a business.

      Delete
  7. What a great line -- "Celebrate failure even though it stinks." Love that! And so true. We simply cannot see with finite eyes the full plan of our Heavenly Father, try as we might. His plan is so far beyond our ability to comprehend. We simply have to trust in the One who knows, who understands, who allows, and who redeems, remembering that sometimes what looks like abject failure (think Joseph's plight) is actually a miracle in process. Blessings to you and your new writing venture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Failure is an opportunity to praise God despite what we see. This is faith. Thank you Cindee

      Delete
  8. After 27 yrs of running a small real estate business in CA, we shut down as the income wasn't there anymore and moved to TX where the business environment is more friendly. Many businesses even close on Sunday as time for church and family! So unlike CA.

    My husband and I are both now starting over in careers at a time when others are planning for retirement. Yet I know we are far from alone in this venture. The biggest change is learning to work for someone else - doing things their way! Yet we are blessed by our new church home under the pastorship of Max Lucado. He recently did a wonderful study entitled, "You'll get through this" - here's the link for some encouragement http://oakhillschurch.com/media-2/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good post, Michael. Like most people, I don't like to fail. Much of my life was spent trying to look successful and minimize those times when I wasn't. The problem with that was, I didn't want to risk anything that I didn't have a fair chance at doing well.

    Now, I'm more likely to try, even if I'm not sure it will work out. Because I know God does work all things together for good for those who are called according to His purpose, I can trust that even the failures have something to teach me. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traci,

      Great point about not wanting to look unsuccessful.

      Delete
  10. Loved this, Mike. Trusting God about things that look and feel like failure but He has other plans...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. If know that failures can actually be successes from God's viewpoint, then success could actually be failure.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful post, Mike! I, too, love the line: "Celebrate failure even though it stinks." May the Lord bless all your writing endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn,
      Failure does stink, but God is always worthy of praise.

      Delete
  12. "You also will travel down similar 'dead ends' but it may be preparation for something greater, so don’t freak out when things don’t make sense. Uncertainty is one of the hallmarks of a concept called faith. Faith is trusting in something that is intangible or unseen. When you walk with God, you must trust that He has your best interests at heart even when things are going horribly."

    This absolutely spoke to my heart Mike! I have failed in so many things that I sometimes have thought, "what's the use of trying or of doing anything at all?" But that's not faith. We walk by faith, and the victory by which we will overcome the world is faith. Thank you for this timely encouragement! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you were encouraged. Our God is a God of Mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Don't freak out when things don't make sense."

    I'll have to remember this. Great post. And I also like the new format.

    Sorry for stopping by so late this month.

    ReplyDelete