Before he passed away, Pastor J. Vernon McGee introduced the concept of the prodigal pig in connection with 2 Peter 2:22. He also compared the prodigal pig with the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32).
When a child of God wanders away from the faith, God searches intently for them. God calls His children home through the active work of the Holy Spirit. A person who has undergone the divine transaction of salvation cannot go on sinning, they will eventually be drawn back to God (1 John 3:9).
There are people who have cleaned themselves up and walk among Christians, but they have never undergone spiritual rebirth, when they “fall away”, they are just showing that they were never saved in the first place (1 John 2:18-20). This type of person becomes much worse off as they throw off the final trappings of pretending to be a Christian (2 Peter 2:20).
Child of God, are you running from Him? He wants a restored relationship with you (Revelation 3:20). The farther you run from Him, the more your character will erode. Submit yourself to Him before you lose everything that you care about.
Warnings to a fallen son or daughter of God:
- Although your salvation is secure, sin has its consequences. The prodigal son got a party upon his return but not his inheritance (Luke 15:31-32).
- Shame is the outcome of sin (Romans 6:20-22)
- We will have to account for our sins ( 1 Corinthians 3:12-16)
- If you are not submitting to God, you will have less self-control (Galatians 5:16-18)
- If you are not submitting to God you will be filled with anger and bitterness (Galatians 5:19-21
- If you are not submitting to God you will miss out on the blessings of the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-26)
- You will not be able to face down Satan, you’re on your own (James 4:7) (1 Peter 5:7-9)
What can I do if I’m far from Him and want to get back?
- Go back, God will meet you on the way (Luke 15:20)
- Confess your sins (1 John 1:9)
- Press forward with God and forget what was behind (Philippians 3:7-14)
What about the rest of us?
For those of you reading who have not crossed the line and handed God the control of your life, please do it now. You are the prodigal pig!!! If you have been going through the motions of Christianity, God knows your heart and cannot be fooled. Fall on your knees and accept the wonderful gift that God paid for you. Only then will you be reborn as a son of God (John 1:12).
Jesus said, “I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance."